Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Taste Of Spring


Peas just epitomize spring to me...the first little green jewels from the garden. We got some in our CSA box two years ago that were super fresh and still in the pods, so I painstakingly shelled each one, only to be left with a disappointingly small bowl (especially since they were so sweet and fun to eat raw as I was shelling...). But, we made the best of them, gently sauteing them in butter and chopping up a bit of fresh mint to garnish. Yum!
Here's another of my favorite (and super healthy) ways to use peas, and honestly, frozen is fine, and, let's be honest, a heck of a lot more realistic most of the time!


Pearl Barley with Edamame and Peas (courtesy of Health magazine)

1 C pearl barley (not quick cooking)

1 C frozen shelled edamame

1 C peas (frozen are fine, fresh if you're fabulous)

1 C chopped fresh spinach (I also threw in at least 1 C chopped fresh kale because it's a stellar superfood that I try to sneak in lots of stuff)

2 t Worcestershire sauce

1 1/2 t lemon zest

1 1/2 t fresh lemon juice (okay, I may have succumbed to the appeal of the jarred garlic and ginger, but I haven't yet turned to the bottled lemon or lime juice...let me know if you think it's at all worthy of consideration or refrigerator space)

1/4 t salt


Following directions on box, boil water and cook barley, usually 30ish minutes, or until most of the water is absorbed. Stir in edamame and peas and cook uncovered until the rest of the water is absorbed, 5-10 mins. Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Whisk Worcestershire, lemon stuff and salt in a small bowl, then pour over barley mixture. This can be served warm or cool, so I really view this is a great year-round staple.

I served this with some roasted beets and asparagus tossed with feta, lemon juice, salt and pepper - yum.


Nutrition reasons why this is great - Barley is definitely a supergrain. It has great dietary fiber (both soluble and insoluble), as well as protein, and helps regulate blood sugar and choleseterol. The edamame in this dish is another great source of protein, and soy protein is some of the best you can get in terms of heart health. The more dark leafy greens you add to this dish, the better, as they're chock-full of healthy phytochemicals and antioxidants.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't cooked with pearl barley before, but I will definitely give it a try. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete