Sunday, June 26, 2011

Taking hints from others...



On a recent visit from my parents, my Mom was surprised to see my cookbook stand filled with issues of Diabetic Living magazine, and rightfully so - no diabetes here, fortunately! I came across the mags at work, since one of my clients has a sugar-free product and runs advertising in them, so I receive copies of them to track what other types of messaging are running in that environment. As I was perusing a few issues, I noticed how many of the recipes looked really great, and with good reason. For diabetics, it's super important that they get a balance of protein, fiber and complex carbs at every meal, with a minimum of sugar...kind of like how the rest of us should be eating, too! With that realization, I dove right in, devouring several issues from cover to cover, rabbit-earring numerous pages with tantilizing recipe ideas. I've made a bunch and have been really pleased with all of them! Here's one I made recently that makes for a great, light summer lunch:

Egg and Broccoli Slaw Wraps (makes 3 wraps)


  • 2 T light sour cream

  • 3 t snipped fresh chives (I used green onions)

  • 3/4 t shredded lemon peel

  • 3 t lemon juice

  • 1 1/2 t honey

  • 1 C packaged broccoli slaw mix

  • 6 hard-boiled eggs, cooled and sliced

  • 3 8-9" whole wheat tortillas

  • 1/4 C (or to taste) bottled roasted red sweet peppers
In a small bowl, combine sour cream, chives, lemon peel and juice, and honey. Add broccoli slaw and toss to coat. (The recipe now says to chill overnight, but of course I read that as I had a hungry crowd waiting for lunch, so that definitely didn't happen - and I got no complaints). Spread slaw mixture evenly on each tortilla, topping each with two sliced eggs and strips of roasted red pepper. Yum!

1 comment: