Saturday, November 7, 2009

An Autumnal Feast

The day's ventures were a delicious success, and boy did the house smell good in the process. While Bread Friend finished kneading and moved on to baking my Oatmeal Anadama to a perfect caramel brown, I moved on to preparing a spicy pork, bean and beer chili. While that simmered and the bread baked, I turned my attention to the day's third project, using up the last of my farmshare produce with a winter pear and apple pie with streusel topping.
Though I am not typically (intentionally) an active participant in the slow food movement, tonight, Rob's delayed return from a football game meant my chili got a full two hours of simmering time, and I've no doubt it was a good thing. The chipotle adobo flavor permeated throughout and the pork became melt-in-your-mouth tender. YUM! I garnished it with some fresh lime juice, and served it up with a spinach salad with cranberries, walnuts, pear and herbed goat cheese, and of course, some fresh bread. It was the perfect early November dinner. Time to cap off the night with some pie...and think about tomorrow's long run!
Today's Recipe:

Pork Bean and Beer Chili (courtesy of Eating Well magazine)
1 1/2 T olive oil
1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion, diced
2 bell peppers (I used one red and one orange), coarsely chopped
2 T tomato paste (I forgot this, and it was still fine)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T cumin
1 T minced chipotles in adobo sauce
1 1/2 t dried oregano
1 12oz bottle beer, preferably Mexican
2 15oz cans pinto beans, rinsed
1 14oz can plum tomatoes, chopped with juice reserved
Juice of half a lime

Heat oil in a large dutch oven over med high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper, and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside. Reduce heat to med and add onion and bell pepper, cooking until they begin to soften, 5-7 mins. Add tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chipotles and oregano. Cook the mixture, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 mins. Stir in beer, deglazing pan. Simmer 2 mins. Stir in beans, tomatoes with juice and pork, bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, at least 30 mins or until pork is tender. Add lime juice before serving. Garnish with a wedge of lime.


1 comment:

  1. martha, seriously? you make me want to be a better person and i'm just not sure that's possible:) THANK YOU for the recipe! I can't wait to try it out on people willing to let me....

    loveyoumissyou!

    ReplyDelete